I tested this one for you. I could’ve find the Hershey’s chocolate, but I did find Baker’s. AFTER I made it, I even found Ghiradelli’s! (I’ll bet you could use Milk Chocolate, but the Dark was grrrreat!) We didn’t toast the almonds and it tasted fine too. (but maybe it would be better had we toasted them or put (GASP!) peanuts with the peanut butter themed candy.
Here’s the professional picture. Remember this is NOT for dogs!
2 packages (4 oz. each) Hershey’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar, broken into pieces
1 package (10 oz) Reese’s Peanut Butter Chips
1 Tablespoon shortening
1/2 cup roasted peanuts or toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- Cover cookie sheet or tray with wax paper.
- Place chocolate in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred.
- Immediately place peanut butter chips and shortening in second microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred; stir in peanuts.
- Alternately spoon above mixtures onto prepared tray; swirl with knife for marbled effect. Gently tap tray on countertop to even out thickness of mixture. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm. Break into pieces. Store in cool, dry place. About 1 pound candy.
* To toast almonds: Heat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown; cool.